Cabo de Sao Vicente is the most south-westerly point of Europe. It was already a important place at the time of the Celts. The Romans dedicated it to Saturn and the Christians to Saint Vincent who built a monastery there. It was destroyed twice. Once by English pirates and then by the earthquake of 1755. The lighthouse was built in 1846. It was enlarged many times, modernized and is considered one of the most powerful lighthouses in Europe and it monitors one of the busiest seaways of the world.