Bike tours in the East and West of the AlgarveLeisurely cycle tours
Bike tours in the East & West of the Algarve 3.05b
Self-guided bike tour by touring bike or trekking bike. E-bikes are available in both ranges
8 days/ 7 nights/ 6 days cycling
Start of the daily routes from the hotel
The daily tours average 40 km with 480 metres of ascent
IIt is possible to book one or more additional nights
Travel beginning is possible at any date
The routes are predominantly flat or slightly hilly. There are also some short steep climbs and descents. The routes follow mostly on surfaced side roads or on good unsurfaced tracks
Holiday and bike tour description
Day 1 Arrival
Arrival in Faro and individual transfer (not included by taxi or Uber).
to the Hotel Real Marina in Olhão.
Personal welcome, a tour briefing and handover and fitting of bikes,
according to your wishes by AlgarveCycling. Over the next few days, discover the old town, with its many restaurants offering seafood specialities and the busy harbour. Excursions, with one of the many ferries, to the offshore islands of Farol, Culatra or Armona are also worth a trip, as is a stroll through the city of Faro in the early evening hours.
Day 2 Bike tour 1 – Black 61km/ 580hm – Olhão-Tavira-Olhão
You drive out of Olhão, past a large information park about the region, a little way inland. Via the municipality of Quelfes, the route takes you along little-used roads over small hills and mountains to Moncarapacho, a pretty village where many European emigrants have settled in recent years. Continuing on, via Luz de Tavira, you reach the charming town of Tavira, situated on both sides of the river Rio Gilhão, which flows leisurely towards the sea. Fine white villas with red roofs and curved balcony lattices stand in the narrow streets, as do new apartment buildings. The charming old town and the lively fishing port on the riverbank form a charming contrast.
With the constant sea breeze from the nearby Atlantic, you cycle along beautiful cycle paths through the fishing villages of Santa Luzia and Pedras d'el Rei to Fuseta. During a break at the harbour promenade, you can watch the fishermen working on their colourfully painted boats. The fishermen here specialise in catching octopus . Then it's back to Olhão via the largest fishing port still active.
Day 3 Bike tour 2 Red - 43km/ 705hm – Olhão - Azinheiro - São Miguel - Olhão
This tour leads you around the mountain "San Miguel", which is visible from far away.
In the interior of the Algarve there are many small villages that have kept their original character and convey the charm and tranquillity of Portuguese country life. Through small hamlets and hilly landscapes with the typical Algarve vegetation of olive, almond, carob and fig trees, you first reach Pechao and then the tranquil Azinheiro. The route continues through a sparsely populated, unspoilt area with little traffic. Then you cycle about 2 km uphill to Mount Sao Miguel, the second highest mountain in the Algarve, and the incredible view of the hills of the Serra in the north and Olhao to Albufeira in the south are the reward for the effort! Then it's a relaxed downhill ride through the idyllic hinterland back to Olhao.
Day 4 Bike tour 3 Green - 58km/ 475hm – Olhão - Quinta do Lago - OlhãoDay 3 - 2nd Tour 58 km
Today you leave Olhão in a wide arc around Faro towards the "Golden Triangles". You drive through the plain of the "Ribeiro de Lourenço", a river valley that has not been built on, with many Orange plantations, and reach the luxury resort Quinta do Lago, a high-end residential resort on an area of 550 hectares. Passing beautifully landscaped golf courses, and luxurious villas, we descend towards the sea and the nature reserve of the Ria Formosa. On a natural path through the lagoons you reach Ilha do Faro, an offshore island and the city's beach. Along the airport, you cycle through the town of Montenegro to the capital of the Algarve, Faro. A visit to the historic old town, which is surrounded by a medieval fortification from the 13th century, is worthwhile. The final sprint for today is announced...pedal hard again and you will be back at your hotel in less than 30 minutes.
Day 5 Bike tour 4 blue - 61km/ 615hm – Silves - Carvoeiro - Portimão - Alvor - Lagos
The 4th tour starts with a transfer to Silves. The town lies on the Rio Arade, which flows into the sea between Portimao and Ferragudo, surrounded by Cork, almond and carob trees. Here you will also find numerous lemon and orange groves. The walk up to the castle, through the lovingly laid out old town, is worthwhile. From here, our path leads you through vineyards, orange and lemon groves down to the famous rocky Algarve to Carvoeiro. Steep reddish Cliffs with small sandy bays sloping down to the sea now dominate the picture. Close to the Cliffs and the deep blue Atlantic, you cycle to the wide estuary delta of the Rio Arade. Very good cycle paths lead along the delta to Portimão. Via the small fishing village of Alvor and through winding alleys, you cycle through the village and up to the wide estuary delta of the Rio Alvor. A huge marshy area with canals and a lagoon landscape similar to mudflats, a refuge for many water birds. Down to the sea, to the largest oyster farm in the Algarve, which is clearly visible at low tide, and along the wide "Meia Praia" beach, you reach your second location at the gates of Lagos, the Hotel Vila Galé.
Day 6 Bike tour 5 braun – 50km/ 650hm – Lagos - Barão de São João - Staudamm Bravura - Odiáxere - Lagos
Today's tour heads north into the tranquil interior towards Portelas. We pass the Menir da Cabeca do Rochedo, remains of the first cultures in the Algarve. The vegetation is characterised by low bushes, herbaceous meadows and holm oaks. The route continues up and down through the agricultural hills to the small village of Barao de Sao Joao. Along the nature reserve, you continue cycling through pine and eucalyptus forests to Bensafrim, with its charming typical white houses with the traditional chimneys of the Algarve, showing the great Moorish influence. Through rolling hills and narrow valleys, the route continues through the countryside to Caitifo and then up to the idyllic Bravura dam.with a wonderful variety of flora and fauna. There is a short signposted trail here where you can see the large, famous monarch butterfly - pure nature. Then it's a relaxed downhill ride through fertile valleys to the small village of Odiaxere and on past the well-kept Palmares Golf Club back to the hotel.
Day 7 Bike tour 6 Violett – 51km/ 755hm – Lagos - Luz - Salema - Barão de Miguel - LagosCross a bridge to the marina and continue to the historic town of Lagos. Along the palm-lined promenade you reach the former slave market. Passing the "Bandeira" fort, we reach the "Costa d'Ouro", the most beautiful stretch of coastline in the Algarve, with golden-yellow, uniquely shaped rocks and rock spires rising steeply out of the sea. Past the lighthouse and the unusual rock formation "Ponte de Piedade", you cycle to Praia da Luz, a tranquil seaside town with an old church and fortress. The route continues via Burgau and a chain of hills, where you have a fantastic view of the deep blue Atlantic and the distant coast of Sagres. After the small fishing village of Salema, situated on a sandy beach beautifully framed by high Cliffs, we cycle up to the small village of Figueiras and on to the picturesque village, Barao de Sao Joao with small, narrow streets and flat houses in the centre of the village and situated on the edge of a large forest area. We continue cycling through the pine, acacia and eucalyptus trees and later through the pristine marshland back to the coast to Lagos.
Day 8 Journey back
Prices per Person
From 01.01.23 to 31.03.23
From 01.11.23 to 31.12.23
From 01.04.23 to 31.05.23
From 01.10.23 to 31.10.23
From 01.06.23 to 30.06.23
From 10.09.23 to 30.09.23
From 01.07.23 to 09.09.23
THE INDICATED PRICES ABOVE ARE BASE PRICES PER PERSON AND INCLUDE:
- 7 nights, in a 4-star family-run hotel in the east and in a 3-star hotel in the west, double room with continental breakfast
- Transfer from Pechão to the start of the route in Alte on day 5
- Luggage transfer between hotels
- 6 carefully planned routes
- Bike map per route with directions and elevation profile as well as useful information
- Travel documents with a detailed tour description, information on sights and interesting facts on the routes
- Personal welcome with briefing / meeting, bike handover and fitting
- Phone/GPS holder
- Service hotline Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 18:00, weekends and bank holidays only in emergencies
EXTRA PER PERSON/ BICYCLE RENTAL
- Touring Bike, 28“ wheels, 24 gears, seat and front fork suspension, rack, 110€
- Trekking bike, 20 or 27 gears, front fork suspension, disc brakes, 29“ wheels, rack, 140€
- MTB bike, 29“ wheels, 20 or 27 gears, front fork suspension, disc brakes, rack on request, 140€
- MTB Premium bike, 29" wheels, fork suspension, disc brakes, 165€
- E-Touring bike, 3 el. levels, 9 gears, 28“ wheels, seat and front fork suspension, disc brakes, rack, 170€
- E-Trekking bike, 29" wheels, 11 gears, 3 el. levels, central fork suspension, 7 gears, disc brakes, rack, 190€
- E-MTB bike, 29" wheels, 11 gears, 3 el. levels, fork suspension, disc brakes, optional rack, 190€
- Standard equipment per bike: Pannier (on request for MTB and E-MTB), bottle holder, lock, frame pump, repair kit, tire lever, spare inner tube, tools and reduction valve for petrol station pump; in addition for e-bikes: battery and charger
ADDITIONAL CHARGES FOR:
- Single traveller supplement 85€
- Transfer from airport to the Hotel in Pechão approx. 48€
- Half board on request
- In some tows visitor's tax/municipal taxes are due. These range between from 1.50€ and 2.50€ p.p. and have to be paid locally.
- Guide 150€/ day
- Taylor-made options on request
- Upgrades, transfers, excursions, additional nights, alterations to the tours, etc... Please contact us and we will be pleased to advise you!
- Museums in Faro and São Brás
- Roman ruins "Ruinas de Milreu" and Roman street "Calçadinha Romana"
- Pousada Palácio de Estói
- Churches and cathedrals in Faro and Almancil
- "Ria Formosa" nature reserve
- "Quinta de Marim" nature park
- Olive oil production
- Cork accessories boutique
- “Adega do Cantor” winery in Guia
- “Quinta dos Vales” winery
- Karst spring "Sitio da Fontes"
- Odelouca Dam
- Pottery in Porches
- Cork boutique in Silves
- Castelo de Silves - former castle
- A nossa Senhora da Rocha in Armação de Pêra
Package from 800€